The evaluation of rationale in academic research can be a challenging task. You can make it easy by using a fool-proof way. With the help of a certain way, you can develop a sound rationale for a research paper, proposal and dissertation. Therefore, this article aims to discuss the rationale in academic research.
What is Rationale in Academic Research?
The rationale in academic research is logical thinking about a topic of discussion. In logical thinking, you have to work on so many aspects. The purpose of all elements is to justify your choice of discussion. In research, you cannot select any topic randomly. In this way, you have to evaluate the pros and cons of the study. For rationale, you have to work on the research question. First of all, identify the importance of the research question. On a particular topic, you can make bundles of the research question. It does not mean that all of the questions are worthy of discussion. Many of them can be non-researchable questions. So, you have to estimate the type and worth of the question. The second significant aspect is related to the research gap. For rationale in academic research, you must identify the research gap related to the study under discussion.
Other than the research question, the rationale can be for a hypothesis of the study. In simple words, the rationale is the central part of any research study. It helps you justify the importance, need, and scope of the study. With influencing rationale, you can better create an impact on readers. However, there is also an option to hire best PhD dissertation writing services in case of any issues.
When is the Rationale for Research Written?
You can write a rationale before as well as after the research. Both of phases address different forms of research work.
When you write a rationale before research, it is meant to be a part of a research proposal. In the proposal, rationale helps in developing a framework for research. In this way, you can plan your whole research work in a compelling way. Before the execution of research, you get to know about the significance of the study in the current time as well as in future.
In contrast, the rationale in academic research can be after the execution of the study. The rationale after the study is meant to be for a dissertation. In the case of a research paper, the rationale writing remains the same. In the dissertation and research paper, the rationale focuses on the research question or hypothesis. Here, you can discuss about the objective of the research study.
How do you write a Research Rationale?
The essential requirement of rationale in academic research is to focus on existing data. You have to research and find the literature available on the topic of discussion. When you estimate the literature, you get to know how much work has been done on a particular topic. Furthermore, you can identify the research gap. Working on a research gap gives your job so much worth.
In contrast, if you repeat the same thing, it does not grasp the reader’s attention. So, rationale helps you avoid the repetition of research. Also, you can better justify the need for study based on existing literature.
For writing a rationale in academic research, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Start a rationale by providing background information on the topic of study. With the help of background information, you can better introduce the research problem. As a good writer, never assume that the reader is well aware of the study under discussion. This approach negatively impacts the reader and increases the chances of confusion.
- The second step of rationale writing is of aim. In every research, you must address the purpose, objective and significance of the study. Discuss all these aspects related to your study in detail. In this way, you can estimate better end results for your research.
- Do not forget to add the references of rationale in academic research. The use of reference reinforces your claims. Also, it specifies the area and audience of study. This step works well to highlight the future use of the study.
- Add the primary purpose of the research clearly. There should not be any vague statement. Mention the purpose of the study on two bases. The first is about current demand, while the second is about the utilization of study in the future.
- The rationale in academic research must be concise. In concise writing, you can better avoid many points that are not required at the moment. It helps you follow a single direction that shows you a defined destination for academic research.
- At the time of writing a rationale, you should not use complex terminologies. The rationale needs to be easy to understand. At this moment, the reader does not have an idea about each and everything. So, the use of complex terminologies makes it challenging to understand. The more the information is specific, the more it will be easy to explain the study problem.
- The next step of rationale writing is the discussion on research impacts. Discuss all of the research impacts on a ground basis. Research is about a real-life problem that needs real solutions. Discuss in detail the implementation of end results.
- You can conclude rationale in academic research by adding methodology. There can be more references in the list, so you can highlight the quality of the rationale. Do not add any irrelevant information to increase the word count, but hit the target point and discuss it. Furthermore, the use of references provides support to your arguments.
What is the Purpose of the Rationale?
The rationale in academic research has great importance because of many reasons. These reasons are mentioned below:
- It provides insights into a study with logical justification.
- The rationale works very well to grasp the attention of a reader. If your rationale is not good enough to develop curiosity, it means you still have to work on it.
- The rationale of the study highlights the impact factor of academic research.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned points can guide you well about the rationale and its use. It is better to understand each point clearly and implement the same tricks in your work.